Stranger things, game of thrones, 13 reasons why and riverdale are my favorite
As Aaron and I sat there watching the final episode of Stranger Things 2 (if you haven’t heard of it or seen it, where the hell have you been – under a rock?!) I said it’s amazing how Netflix has totally transformed how we watch TV and movies. My cousin Tammy and I are probably among some of the worst self confessed serial binge watchers of all time – but we were doing it way before Netflix and it’s release on society which has turned us into a pair of pyjama wearing hermits that socialise out of necessity not choice.
I sat here tonight thinking about the shows I’ve binge watched over the years and wanted to be honest (with myself more than anything) about which shows I’ve sat there and watched – start to finish. So without further ado, here’s a long old list of amazing (and some shit) shows and some short thoughts on each which I’ve binged on;
- Desperate Housewives – ahh where it all began, I’ve watched this whole series 3 times and love the drama!
- Devious Maids – along similar lines to Desperate Housewives, I haven’t stuck with the most recent episodes though
- Friends – classic, don’t think I need to say any more
- Pretty Little Liars – terrible ending, but I stuck with it as I’d watched for years and wanted to know who the hell “A” was
- The Vampire Diaries – cringe at first but stick with it, some blood, gore, fight scenes, vampires, werewolves, witches. What more could you ask for?!
- The Originals – a spin off from the Vampire Diaries, again, bit cringe and they call each other “brother” and “sister” all the time which is slightly annoying, but a great programme overall
- Breaking Bad – another classic, takes a while to get into though. One of THE best endings to a series
- Ugly Betty – hilarious, quick wit and a bit of drama about the life of an “Ugly” girl working at a high fashion magazine (for the record America Ferrera that plays Betty is beaut)
- Dexter – another terrible ending, but a great show up to the last season
- Once Upon a Time – I actually stopped watching this as it got a bit tired, but loved how they intertwined so many fictional fairy tale characters into one show
- Grimm – amazing for those fantasy fiends out there and lovers of classic Grimm brother tales
- Game of Thrones – now what kind of TV binge watcher would I be if I didn’t include GOT?! Fire, ice, dragons, dead or alive, this is one of the shows of our time!
- Hannibal – quite recent, very grim and not one to watch late at night because…nightmares? Think murders, cannibalism… you get the drill
- Riverdale (most recent) – a little over rated but still a good show with a good old whodunnit plot
- Keeping up with the Kardashians – I was once a hater and now a lover, what more can I say? I love me some trash reality TV
- Better Call Saul – a little while to get into but great that you get to see Saul before his Breaking Bad days!
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – my favourite comedy series right now ” PINOT NOIR”
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend – takes a while to get into and the musical style singing is a bit bizarre at first but it’s pretty funny
- Revenge – a great one which had an OK ending, but not amazing. A daughter seeking vengeance for sins made against her father
- iZombie – a funny, gory drama – human brains cooked into some snazzy dishes, lots of hot sauce and energy drinks
- Love – I think I watched this just because… it was OK but not so amazing that I’d run and tell everyone about it, a bit of an opposites attract storyline
- Grace & Frankie (I need to watch the latest season still) – Jane Fonda is amazing in this, but a lighthearted comedy about a pair of pensioners who’s husbands leave them after having a career long affair
- Orange is the new Black – well duh? Women in prison? Got to be a winner
- Bad Girls – the original UK women’s prison series and a classic
- Stranger Things – AMAZING for those that love the 80’s, some fantasy, Dungeons & Dragons
- 13 Reasons Why – thought provoking and quite dark, but a good show highlighting awareness around teen’s use of social media and suicide
- Bates Motel – ahh the start of Norman Bates, his insane mother and the making of a monster
- House of Cards – I loved Kevin Spacey and he’s on point in this series out to dominate the world. However given everything that’s coming out about him in the press, it’s made me reconsider my opinions and how I view him as an actor
- Making a Murderer – a classic Netflix original documentary about the very odd circumstances surrounding a murder
- The People vs. OJ Simpson – a dramatisation of a real life murder trial that brought the Kardashian family to the limelight, really enjoyed and learnt a lot about the trial that I didn’t know before
- American Horror Story (I need to catch up on the latest season) – gruesome, frightsome, downright terrifying at times? If you enjoy that then I’m sure you’ll love this series
- Gilmore Girls (twice so far) – lovely heartwarming show, the Grandma is by far my favourite
- Narcos (another one I need to catch up on) – another dramatisation series of the infamous cocaine druglord of the 1990’s Pablo Escabar. Be prepared for lots of subtitles for the Spanish lingo
- Gossip Girl – XOXO uptown New Yorker socialites and a social media tormentor?
- The Crown – the British Royals being portrayed at their finest, what more could you ask for?
- Shameless (UK) – classic representation of life on a down and out council estate in the UK, lots of drama and lots of laughs
- How to Get Away With Murder (yet another I need to catch up on) – a little bit cringey (the guy that plays Dean Thomas in Harry Potter is the lead in this series) but a good one to fill in your time
- The OA – very bizarre, but in a good way
- Lemony Snickett’s – A Series of Unfortunate Events – I love Neil Patrick Harris and he doesn’t disappoint in this one
- Girlboss – a bit meh at times, I wanted to see more but found out they weren’t doing another series
- Jack Whitehall’s Travels with my Father – HILARIOUS! Michael Whitehall is the bluntest man alive and watching the two of them together makes for a bundle of laughs
- Walking Dead – who doesn’t love a series based on a zombie apocalypse, where they never actually call them Zombies?
- Geordie Shore – this is one of mine and Aaron’s guilty pleasures, rowdy lads and lasses out on the toon getting mortal?! Trash reality TV at it’s finest!
Now, I realise 43 shows is completely outrageous and I did warn you that I’d watched a lot. Like a lot a lot. Actually, this has made me realise how much of a hermit I really am. I think there are probably more, but I can’t remember right now. The main point is – I enjoy it. I’d much rather chill at home than spanking my money at a pub/club I don’t really want to be at, wondering how I’m going to get home.
Let me know in the comments if you think I have a problem and best of all – whether you’ve got any recommendations for me!
comedycomedy dramadocumentariesdramasfantasyhorrornetflixreality tvserial binge watcherTV series