You’ll know if you’ve followed my blog for a little while that I’ve struggled with adult acne and the scarring left over from it over the last few months. I’ve been adding to this post over the last few weeks to provide an update on my Upping my Skincare Routine post I did a while back, so you can see for yourselves what kind of impact my new routine has had on my skin.
I didn’t get a proper photo of what my skin looked like right before it all started, so I’ll go with the one I got after five days of use onwards:
The scarring already started to clear up really well and I was massively impressed – makeup was able to cover it a lot easier, although I did have a couple of small breakouts on my chin and one right next to my hairline (I think these are hormonal as I was coming to the end of my pill packet). I also noticed the random spot I had on my neck had shrunk massively so it was just a tiny scar – good progress so far!
These photos were taken just before I was due on, so the little breakouts were hormone related and there wasn’t too much I could do about them (being a woman can be a pain in the arse), but all in all there’s been a huge improvement to the pigmentation. I’ve also noticed that my breakouts aren’t as huge (as in a big crater erupting instead of a small pimple) meaning they don’t hang around for as long as they were before.
There’s been a slight improvement to the texture of my skin too, not only is the colour evening out, but my skin is getting smoother which is something I’ve struggled with for years!
Week 4 (Today)
The left hand side of my face has seen the biggest improvement of all and to really highlight my point, I’ve put in some before and after pictures below to show the progress my skin has made;
The texture has improved drastically, the pigmentation is starting to even out to a point where I’m not constantly worrying that the redness showing through my make up, which is something I never thought I’d see!
My right hand side wasn’t as bad as the left, but you can see an improvement to the pigmentation (although I’m hating on the two spots that erupted a couple of days ago and are starting to die down now).
Front on, there isn’t a mass of difference, but you can see there’s been some improvement to my chin area.
So, what’s been part of my routine?
My routine hasn’t changed much since my initial post about upping my skincare game a few weeks ago, but here’s a quick recap and an addition I’ve made since then;
- A pipette full of the Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% serum (for hyper-pigmentation)
- A couple of drops of The Ordinary Salicylic Acid serum to help with any breakouts I might have (I’ve only been doing this since my skin decided to get all hormonal and break out a bit)
- A pea sized amount of the Simple Replenishing Moisturiser
- Remove bulk of my makeup using the Nivea Cleanser and Toner on a couple of cotton pads
- Wash face using L’Oréal Fine Flowers Gel Cream Wash
- Roll face using the Derma Roller (every other night)
- Pipette of The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% serum
- A couple of drops of The Ordinary Salicylic Acid serum
- A pea sized amount of The Simple Replenishing Moisturiser
And that’s it! Thank you to all of my followers on Instagram that encouraged me to write an update post on how this has been going and let me know your thoughts in the comments below!